BURLINGTON - As of Wednesday afternoon, 21 Burlington residents have tested positive for COVID-19.
The Burlington Board of Health (BOH) confirmed the figure on its website (www.burlington.org/departments/board_of_health/corona_virus_information.php). The BOH acknowledged due to limited testing capacity and the nature of the illness, this case count may not accurately reflect the actual number of cases in Burlington.
It includes residents of Burlington, not those who work and shop here and does not include cases that have been clinically diagnosed by a physician (people who did not receive laboratory testing).
In addition, people do not need to exhibit symptoms to have the virus and could potentially spread it to others. The BOH reiterated residents to “please stay at home as much as possible and continue to follow public health precautions to prevent virus transmission.”
The BOH did not release any information about the eight residents who have tested positive.
The town reminds people what they can do to prevent the spread of disease
• Stay home as much as you can. If you must go out, don't gather in groups and stay 6 feet away from others.
• Learn the facts about COVID-19 and help stop the spread of misinformation by visiting CDC’s webpage Share the Facts, Stop the Fear.
• If you have recently traveled and become ill, call your health care provider and notify them of your travel history. Avoid non-essential travel.
• Don't shake hands or hug.
• Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, or use alcohol-based hand sanitizers and rub till completely dry.
• Cough/sneeze into a tissue and dispose the tissue immediately into a trash can. If you don’t have a tissue, cough/sneeze into the crook of your elbow, not your hands.
• Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
• Avoid close contact with others who are sick.
• If you are sick stay home, seek health care, and avoid contact with others.
• Clean and disinfect touched objects and surfaces.
• Stay connected to friends and loved ones by phone or through other technology.