STONEHAM — The Reading High boys hockey team gave it everything it had, but came up short in the end.

The Rockets, the No. 6 seed, was defeated by No. 11 Bishop Fenwick, 2-0, in an MIAA Division 1 North first round game last night at Stoneham Arena.

An early second-period goal by the Crusaders is all they would need to stun the Rockets in an upset win. Fenwick later added an empty-net goal to account for the final score.

“The kids gave it their all tonight,” said Reading coach Mark Doherty. “It just didn’t go our way. I respect everyone we play, I just didn’t expect us to go scoreless. But, their goalie was terrific and we had too many blocked shots.”

Bishop Fenwick will now move on to the quarterfinals where it will take on third-seeded Winchester (14-7-0) on Sunday.

Reading (12-7-4) outshot Bishop Fenwick, 37-15, but unfortunately ran into senior goalie Jake Moniz who was outstanding for the Crusaders making 37 saves.

“Throughout the year, even with our other losses, we out-shot a lot of teams,” said Doherty. “That has sort of been our story all season long and there are various reasons for that.”

Even though Reading’s season has come to a heartbreaking end, Doherty is pleased with his team’s effort this year and knows his senior class, who have all made a huge impact on the team, are hurting.

“Overall, I thought we had a lot of good gut-wins throughout the season,” said Doherty. “Our senior class was a great class of all real good kids and I know it is tough on them right now.”

It was Reading that controlled play early on in the game, coming out firing on all cylinders.

The Rockets’ best chance came at the seven-minute mark on a Bishop Fenwick power play. Senior captain Mike Tobin stole the puck off a Crusaders defenseman and went on a breakaway, but his shot just went wide hitting the outside of the left post keeping the game scoreless.

Reading dominated all period, but couldn’t get anything by Moniz who was on early.

After Reading’s dominating first period, it was the Crusaders that struck first 43 seconds into the second period.

Freshman Patrick Roach fired home a wrist shot past Reading goalie Dylan Emery on a two-on-one after a perfect pass from senior defenseman Trey Deloury. Junior Tom Estella also assisted on the play that gave Bishop Fenwick a 1-0 lead.

Reading now had to play from behind, which is something it had to do quite often this season but it never got fazed by that.

The Rockets nearly tied the game a minute later, but Moniz made a great diving save on a shot from junior forward Jake Emery to keep his team in the lead.

Reading came out flying in the thid period, getting shot after shot after shot, but Moniz continued to be the story for Bishop Fenwick. The Rockets totaled 16 shots in the third, nearly missing the goal by inches many times.

With a 1:38 left in the game, Reading pulled Emery from the goal giving them one last chance to try and tie this game.

The Rockets again sent shot after shot towards the net but couldn’t come up with that key goal.

With 45 seconds remaining, Reading called a timeout followed by a Bishop Fenwick timeout.

It didn’t go in Reading’s favor as with 16 seconds remaining, the Crusaders found the empty net. Senior Derek DelVecchio grabbed a loose puck and passed to Ian Worthely who scored giving the Crusaders a 2-0 victory and ending Reading’s season.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.